Friday, March 21, 2008

Things I cannot wait for...

As I sit and stare out at Table Mountain, Devil's Peak, Lion's Head, and the Waterfront from Signal Hill, I cannot help but be lost in the beauty of this little city called Cape Town. Home to some of the best surf, craziest adventures, and just absolute random madness, I cannot help but think about how much I am going to miss this place. Today, I found out that I did not make the team. The coach told me that he liked me and wanted to give me a chance but I did not have enough "pro experience" and he needed players who "have been there before." I am a little disappointed in the soccer aspect of things but as far as ministry goes, there is no way in the world I would ever change this experience for anything. I have made some amazing relationships that I will never forget. Plus I know that I will go away knowing that God has worked through me with the people around me. Seeds have been planted and people have been loved. I am still here for a little less than a month and there is still stuff to be done but my time in Cape Town has drawn to a close. I am very excited about coming home and seeing friends and family! God has been amazing over here and I cannot wait to see Him work even more!

With that being said, let's start talking about the top 10 reasons "Why I cannot wait to come back to the states!"
10) A tan! Over the last year, I have not had a winter. I have gone from summer to summer now back to summer! I still have not gotten a tan and it is one of my goals to work on!
9) Better phone coverage and better plans. South Africa needs to follow the US in these first two because they will make more money than trying to cheat people. Both the internet and phone are covered by like 3 different companies which have a monopoly on all wireless transactions which in turn drives prices high.
8) Country Music! and Country concerts!
7) Driving on the right side of the road! Here they drive on the wrong side (Left) and everything is backwards! Even though it has created many funny incidents especially if I am driving!
6 ) FREE UNLIMITED WIRELESS INTERNET!!!! You have to pay for really bad internet here and it is super frustrating when emails do not send when they are supposed to or when the internet just all of a sudden goes out!
5) The Green Goblin! My 2000 Toyota Tacoma. You might call it cute because of its size but trust me, it has little man's syndrome and can run with the big dogs!
4) Free Refills and Dr. Pepper! Self explanation! (They try and make as much chump change as they can...)
3) Bigger servings at food places! And Bigger Cups! The cups here are so small and you constantly have to either go back for more or ask the waiter for more which just pisses them off because of the constant trips which just drives their own tips down!
2) Mexican Food! I love Mexican Food... Real tortillas, refried beans, carnitas, carne asada, and real salsa (even though morgan makes a mean salsa!).
1) Family! I love you Mom (and Cheri!)!

(for Cammi... despite your best efforts, you answered correctly. "V" is a Roman Numeral... And you wagered...!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My comments:

1. Good luck on the tan. Honestly, I think that one waved bye-bye to you long ago.
2. Why was The Office not on that list? You would seriously choose country music or driving on the right side of the road over that? I'm very disappointed.
3. Suck it Trebek. Loved the note!

Anonymous said...

Cammi is right...the Office should be on the list. And I'm beginning to really agree with Cammi on most things.

B. Hurry and come back...you are missed!!!!

C. and finally...Ikapa or not...everyone's still jealous of your mad skills

Casey said...

MAN!! Cammi your funny :) ummm tan- when have you ever been tan?
SWEET!!! I can't wait for you to come back home. Missed ya over here- ya know in ARIZONA where it is just about Summer all year round. ha ha ha Did I miss something- when you coming back home? Whens the Party? Either way, I am glad you are coming and had a wonderful God Experience time. The other had, I am sorry to hear you did not make the team. What are they thinking?!?! Maybe next time next year. You are very skilled and I am sure, God willing you will make a team.
Love ya miss ya and can't wait to see you again.
BTW - How come I'm not on the family part. Do you not miss me J/k
Love ya
Love us (Eric, Ellie, September and me- oh yes, I am pregnant and due September 24th!!)