Sunday, March 16, 2008

Time Closing In.. On a serious note.. Brew

Well, it is coming to that time again where life as I know it is changing. I have about 1-2 weeks left in Cape Town before I have to head back up North to Polokwane and Pretoria to finish up some unfinished business. This has been an amazing journey that is coming to a close. I have learned so much about myself and about people and about love and about God. I have had some major breakthroughs and some major disappointments. I have had some times where I wanted to pack it all up and come home. And I have had other times where I have been so in love with what I am doing, the people around me, and what God is doing through and around me, I didn't want to leave. Whether or not this mission/soccer trip has been a success or a failure, I know that God has worked through it and because of that, it will be a major success.

Since I came to Cape Town, my ministry changed or evolved in a way that is difficult to explain but I am going to try. This whole time I have been in South Africa, I have been struggling with this question: Am I a Christian that plays soccer?... Or... Am I Professional Soccer Player that is a Christian? Either way is fine because the important part is that I am a Christian and I am seeking after God and after what He wants for me. Basically, the real question that I have been praying about and asking God is, Where He wants me to be? Does He want me to be working with kids that are less fortunate, all the time and completely abandon my dream of playing at a professional level? Or does He want me to pursue being a professional and once I get signed, then I can start doing all the other stuff? My selfish side wants to never give up on my dream of playing at the highest level possible. I know that when I cannot go to a higher level, it will be time to hang the boots up. But right now, I know I can play at this level and I just need a shot. However, I am completely open to whatever God has for me. Wherever He leads, I will follow. I took a major gamble as far as ministry goes when I came down to Cape Town. I have not been able to be as involved in as many different stuff like I was in Polokwane because of the hectic training schedule. However, I will consider it completely worth it either way but especially if I make the team because I will have another full year here in South Afrika to follow what God has for me!

As far as scheduling goes right now, I get to play in a game this wednesday against, ironically, an American team. I know I have been saying that I will know for sure on whether I will make the team or not but the thing is, there is a thing called Afrika Time. This coach tells me he likes me and is impressed but he says that he needs to be 100%... Completely sure that it will be the best for his team and for me. Thus, I have been on trial for about 2 months which is a really long trial. I had a good talk with him this past week and asked him to assess what he is thinking with me. He told me that he will for sure, give me a decision on wednesday after watching and assessing me play in this game. If he decides to sign me, then I will coming back to Cape Town next year and playing a season here while being able to really get plugged into the different ministries going on here in Cape Town. Please pray for me that God's will be done... whatever it is. Thank you all for your love and support and prayers! I cannot wait to see you in a month!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wednesday is the big day! Either way...know you have been used by God in so many different levels this year....and I am sure that He will continue to guide you and use you in ways you never thought imaginable.

Cheri w/ a "C" said...

prayers skell! post when u know more!!! love cousin cheri and the cas crew!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your game today! God is with you. Feel His pleasure as you use your gifts for Him. I am proud of you. I love you.

Anonymous said...

praying for you today.....Do it all for the glory of God! I am so proud of you and believe in you.....swimmin....